Iridium (Pure) Metal Micro Electrodes
These Metal Micro Electrodes are ideal for a multitude of applications including single- and multi-unit studies, stimulation, lesioning, and evoked response studies. Four metals are available depending on the application.
• Unique, precision manufacturing process provides consistent repeatable tip profiles for superior performance
• Select from 4 metals, 3 styles, and 4 tip profiles to meet almost any application
• Gold-plated connector pins for superior electrical connections
• Custom made probes readily available
These Metal Micro Electrodes are ideal for a multitude of applications including single- and multi-unit studies, stimulation, lesioning, and evoked response studies. Four metals are available depending on the application:
• Stainless Steel (Elgiloy metal)
• Platinum/Iridium Mix (80/20%)
• Pure Iridium
Tungsten is the most versatile and widely used type of probe. It is ideal for demanding recording situations and most stimulation protocols.
The Stainless Steel (Elgiloy) Electrodes are widely used as the primary component for the ‘vibrating probe’ electrode. It is vibrated at a fairly high frequency and is used to record very small DC potentials. It is also use for Prussian blue staining around the tip by passing a small anodal current.
The Platinum/Iridium mix Electrodes have a lower concomitant impedance value than tungsten or stainless steel for the same exposure, therefore they are ideal for recording. They are also superior for stimulation studies because they are less likely to erode during intense stimulation protocols. This metal mixture is also excellent for chronic implants because it is very biocompatible.
The Pure Iridium Electrodes are ideal for improved stimulation and recording. Pure Iridium is extremely stiff and has a much lower concomitant tip impedance than any other noble metal. It is extremely inert and very resistant to corrosion. Consequently, it is much less likely to erode during stimulation and can be activated using cyclic voltametery for increased charge storage capacity to lower tip impedance values.
Three Electrode Styles are Available:
• Standard style with 3 mm or 1 mm of Parylene-C insulation on the metal shaft.
• Standard style with the addition of polymide tubing on the shaft which provides additional reinforcement for easy electrode insertion. The additional insulation also minimizes signal attenuation making this an ideal electrode for deep brain penetrations.
• Stereotrode/Biopolar style for micro bipolar stimulation. These Electrodes are ideal where the current injection needs to be confined to a small, localized part of the nervous system. They are also used for enhanced isolation of single neural elements by simultaneously recording from multiple units of two closely spaced microelectrodes.
All of the Microelectrodes are sharpened electrochemically and their tips are individually exposed under a microscope. Each is inspected to assure reproducible tip exposures and profile. Four different tip profiles are created using a unique process to remove the insulation from the electrode tip:
• General Profile with a 25:1 taper ending in a sharp point which is good for most applications.
• Heat Tapered Profile with a 25:1 taper ending in a sharp point with “toughened” Parylene-C near the exposed tip providing more rigidity. This tip is ideal for penetrating tough tissues.
• Extra Fine Profile with a 50:1 taper ending in a sharp point which is good for small cells and near surface work. This profile only has 1 mm of Parylene-C insulation on the metal shaft.
• Bullet Profile with a 25:1 taper ending in a rounded point which is ideal for stimulation due to reduced neuron penetration.
These Electrodes are supplied in a box of 10.
|Electrode Style||Additional Polymide||Additional Polymide||AdditionalPolymide|
|Length (English)||3 in||3 in||3 in|
|Length (Metric)||76 mm||76 mm||76 mm|
|Tip Impedance||2 MΩ||1 MΩ||0.5 MΩ|
|Type of Metal||Iridium (Pure)||Iridium (Pure)||Iridium (Pure)|